People find themselves needing to call a locksmith in their area, say locksmith 10012, for a variety of reasons. From lock-outs to security tips, we want to help you better protect your home or business against burglary. We’ve assembled these burglary facts and burglar-proofing tips to help you with burglary prevention.
What is Burglary?
According to the FBI, a burglary takes place when someone unlawfully enters an establishment intending to commit a theft. However, the burglar doesn’t need to forcibly enter. They simply enter an area in which they are not allowed and intend to take possession of property belonging to someone else. On the other hand, robbery occurs when a theft of money or property is accompanied by a threat of violence.
Common Time and Details of Burglary
Regardless of what you might think, two-thirds of all burglaries occur in daylight. This crime is most frequently committed between the hours of 10 am and 2 pm, with the timeframe between July and August claiming the most occurrences of the year, as many people are away on summer vacations. The month with the least number of burglaries is February.
Most burglars are amateurs below the age of 25, and over half are white. The most common motivation for burglaries committed is an addiction to drugs. In regards to entry, 80% of burglars will unlawfully enter an establishment using the front door, a window on the first floor, or use the back door. They will typically head for the master bedroom upon entry and then aim for the office area, most commonly stealing money and jewelry.
- If your mailbox is visible to others, have your mail held when you go out of town. Have someone you trust stop by to pick up any packages. This removes packages left by your door so you don’t alert anyone to the fact that you aren’t home. This can put your property on the radar of burglars.
- Have deadbolts installed in each entry door of your apartment or business establishment. These provide an additional measure of security to regular door locks.
- Ask trusted neighbors, friends, or family to regularly stop into your place and check your property while you’re gone.
- To protect against theft should burglars gain entry to your home, disguise your valuable goods as commonplace objects like foil-wrapped leftovers, mislabeled boxes in your closet or cabinets, or other creatively deceptive appearances.
- Be sure to test or check your alarm system on a regular basis. Just the idea may provide peace of mind, but that won’t protect you if it isn’t working correctly. Advertising your system may act as a preventative measure against burglary as well.
For further burglar-proofing tips and professional evaluation of how to enhance the security of your home or business, contact Artie’s Locksmith 10012. Their high-quality locksmith service has been helping the people of NYC, New Jersey, and the 5 Burroughs area to stay safe and secure for over 85 years. We offer convenient 24-hour emergency locksmith services. We also offer a full range of locksmith services. These include all locks and lock systems, intercom systems, closed-circuit TV (CCTV), buzzer systems, access control, wood, metal, and glass door installation, gates and custom ironwork, as well as commercial and residential safes. Give us a call at 1-212-243-0381. We will be happy to provide you with professional advice or a quote for service.